Thursday, April 3, 2008

Reece, personal musings - On Being Dyslexic

I have a confession to make

I am dyslexic

It’s not asey being dsylexic

I titled my last medinnovation blog

“Slwoing” the growth of health costs

You’d think I’d spellcheck

I will the time next

Being dyslexic

Can be downright em-bareassing

If you know what I mean

I don’t google

I go ogle

I don’t walk into a bar

I walk into a bra

In church I don’t say

Word of God

I say Gord of Wod

I reverse telephone numbers

And my social security number

People don’t understand

Dyslexia is verbal contraband

I misspell words

I mix up my “c’s” and “s’s”

and my “b’s” and “d’s”

and my bvds and my dvds

I misread the clock

And the time of day

Instead of 2:10 it is 1:20

I’m always early – or late

No, it’s not esay being dyslexic

Especially in something

As delirious as health.

Dyslexia is not sexia

Please forgive me

I know not always

What I did.

2 comments:

Dr. Val said...

I didn't realize you have dyslexia. I noticed the occasional typo here and there... :) I think I have a very mild version of it... when I write really quickly I flip letters and words a bit. Is there such a thing as mild dyslexia? ;)

Ghotit said...

Ghotit (www.Ghotit.com) offers unique writing and reading online services for people who suffer from dyslexia, dysgraphia or people who are not native-English speakers. Ghotit’s first service is an online context sensitive spell checker.

What people have to say:

My god I have been look for this for all-my life, help that understands me. I write with a dictionary and thesaurus and some times cant even find the word looking for. I could not hold back the tears from the emotion then when I worked out how helpful this spellchecker will be for me.

• i really like it and i'm so glad i found it!! it will really help with my homework etc and my teachers wont get angry at me annymore!!

• Thank you for contacting us with your product. I tinkered with the spell checker for sometime this morning, entering common mistakes that our dyslexic students (and ADD) students make in spelling. I must say that I am extremely impressed with your product and would certainly like to further evaluate it with our students over the next several weeks.

• that spell checker is SO good, its actually waaay better than microsoft because it tells you the reasen why you are usuing the correct word. i really like it, its really good!!